In traditional Ju-Jitsu you are taught a wide variety of techniques for defending against and disarming armed opponents or attackers
When fights start, people often grab nearby objects to use as weapons. There is of course a similarity between a baseball bat, a pick ax handle and a sword, the same could be said of a chair leg. They all tend to be swung and thrust in similar ways. Thus traditional defending against a sword lends itself to defending against a common contemporary weapon.
- Bottles are one of the first weapon you learn to defend yourself again in Ju-Jitsu. Broken bottles come later.
- Batons or coshes are used to train against an attack with a blunt object.
- Knives are a common weapon, and we learn to defend ourselves from such attacks.
- Chains have a good range and lend themselves to some of the more spectacular defences in Ju-Jitsu.
- Swords are not common in today’s society, but defences from them can be applied to other attacks.